Immigration FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

After Receiving My Visa, I Am Allowed to Enter the United States?

Generally, yes. A visa is a travel document. Different types of visas allow different activities while “traveling” or “temporarily residing” in the U.S. For example, an H1B visa allows a non-immigrant foreign national to work in the U.S. while traveling or temporarily residing here. Other common forms of visas include student visas (F1), and general tourist/guest visas (B2). Certain business professionals conducting specific corporate or trade functions in the U.S. may be granted B1 visas. Regardless, the key aspect of a visas is: (a) limited duration, (b) specific acts permitted while in the country, and (c) the visas holder must leave the country at the conclusion of the approved visa visit time.

How Do I Renew My Non-immigrant Visa? Do I Have to Go Through the Visa Application Process Again?

Unfortunately yes, you will most likely have to go through the whole visa application again, although under certain circumstances, you might apply for an extension. Additionally, you do not want your visa to expire while you are in the U.S. If you remain in the country without a valid visa, you could be subject to deportation or even jail. Contact us immediately if you suspect your visa has expired, or you need help applying for an extension. Remember, if you are caught with an expired visa in the U.S., you could be permanently barred from seeking citizenship or re-entry into the country.

I Currently Hold an Iraqi “S” Series Passport — Can I Travel to the U.s. With This Type of Passport?

No, the Iraqi “S” series visa is no longer valid. It was a security risk and easily forged. If you hold one, contact us for help in converting these specialized visas to a more common H1B, or permanent resident card.

I Have a Claim to U.s. Citizenship, Can I Apply for a U.S. Visa?

Persons born in countries other than the United States usually have claim to U.S. Citizenship if either of the parents are U.S. citizens. However, this has absolutely no effect on visas. If you are a foreign national (that is, anyone who does not have, or cannot presently obtain a U.S. passport), you must apply for a visa to visit the U.S. — even if you could otherwise be eligible for U.S. Citizenship.

VISA Interviews (B1, B2, And Other Visa Interviews At US Consulates)

Need more help with VISA questions? Visit our visa interview help page at click here

Read the State Department guidelines regarding which tests to apply when reviewing visas — a must read for any visa applicant: Click here

Remember: Apply For A VISA BEFORE You Travel To The United States.

East Coast Legal Group specializes in helping people just like you get visas and, were appropriate, citizenship applications prepared for submission to USCIS. Let us help YOU get the service and results you deserve. Criminal past, illegal status, and just simple confusion about what forms to complete and how to submit them are all issues our firm is comfortable and used to resolving. Let us help you!